Lake Treatment Delayed One Day

Lake Will Be Closed Thru Saturday

We had planned to complete the chemical treatment of Lake Fairlee on Thursday.  Our permit requires that the lake be closed to all recreational uses until the second day after the treatment.  The lake would then have reopened on Saturday.

Due to mechanical difficulties we were unable to apply the herbicide on Thursday.  The motor on the only boat equipped to carry the required weight of dry chemical and the water sprayer developed a broken flywheel.  We explored every option to find another way of doing it, but to no avail.

Because the company that is doing the application is obligated to do work on other lakes every day next week, and because we are committed to completing the process before the commercial camps on the lake begin their pre-camp training sessions, we were faced with a hard decision.  We could push back the treatment one day until Friday, which would mean that the lake would be closed until Sunday, or we could postpone the whole thing for another year.

On the one hand a Saturday closure will work a hardship on those who had planned to get in or on the lake this weekend.  On the other, we were stymied last year by the marsh mermaidweed and there is already more milfoil in the lake than can be controlled by hand pulling.  We made the decision that we feel serves the lake’s best interest.

Therefore the following permit conditions are changed:

  1. No use of the lake for any purpose on Friday, May 31, and Saturday, June 1.
  2. Recreational use of the lake may resume on Sunday, June 2.  This includes boating, fishing, and swimming.

The other conditions are unchanged.

We apologize for the inconvenience.