Although LAKEFEST is not affiliated with the Lake Fairlee Association, the following announcement might be of interest to our members and friends:
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
SAVE THE DATE! • SATURDAY, JULY 10th
TRI-TOWN CELEBRATION OF LAKE FAIRLEE
WHO: Residents from Fairlee, West Fairlee and Thetford are invited as guests to Treasure Island and Horizons Day Camp to enjoy the entire day at these lakefront retreats – free. Families may bring their own picnics or buy lunch from the tasty, reasonably priced choices that will be available at both sites.
WHAT: (A Sampling of the Planned Activities:)
On or in the Water:
- lake tours on pontoon boats with a local history guide · creative swim and canoe relays
- introduction to paddling workshops (instructor, canoes and PFDs provided)
- a sailing regatta between the camps · little people’s water games
- lake flora and fauna workshops (birds, plants and fish/animals)
- craft and community tables · traditional, fun field relay races
- a “sing-off” between the camps during lunch · a raffle of appealing donated gifts
- recreational swimming, pick up volleyball games, tennis & more
WHERE: At two sites on the shores of Lake Fairlee: Treasure Island and Horizons Day Camp.
WHEN: Saturday, July 10th, 10am – 3pm (Rain Date, Sun., July 11th)
WHY: Lakefest 2010 is a fresh relaunch of an historic celebration of Lake Fairlee. The event’s purpose is to draw together the three town communities (Fairlee, West Fairlee and Thetford) that share the shores of Lake Fairlee, for an old-fashioned series of activities on and along the lake. Another goal of this celebration is to foster friendly competition among the camps on the lake, and involve the communities in some of the rich traditions of the camps.
BACKGROUND & SUPPORT: Lakefest is a grassroots endeavor by residents from the three towns. The entire event is being managed by volunteers from the towns and the camps. Access to Treasure Island and Horizons Day Camp is provided by the generosity of the Town of Thetford and the Aloha Foundation, respectively. Generous donations from residents and local businesses will provide some surprise treats as well as wonderful raffle prizes.